The District has banned the use of food service products made of expanded polystyrene. Read More>>
How to obtain a Pesticide License in Washington DC
Preliminary application forms ES-774 and 775 are to be completed and returned to the Pesticide program, 1200 First Street, 5th Floor NE, Washington, DC 20002. These forms can be obtained online or by calling the Pesticide program.
If you are applying through reciprocity, include the state in which you are certified (MD, VA, DE, WVA, PA, NJ) and provide copy of the current license from that state. If you would like to qualify through examination, you should check the appropriate box. Certification examinations are held six times per year.
The Pesticide Program will process these forms and if approved, Basic Business License (BBL) forms will be mailed to you along with directions to the Licensing Administration. In addition, the Licensing Administration will require proof of insurance and other information about your company. Please call that office at (202) 442-4311 and verify their requirements.
Upon receiving the licenses, you must return to our office, present the licenses, and we will make and issue a photo ID to the Certified Licensed Applicator.
Prerequisites for Pest Control Licensing in the District of Columbia
The District of Columbia Municipal Regulations Title 20 requires that each place of business that advertises for or conducts pest control activities in the District of Columbia, including governmental and state agencies, be licensed.
Preliminary Licensing Procedures
Forms ES-774 and 775 are required to be completed and returned to the Pesticide Program (address on forms). Improper completion of these forms will delay the licensing process. If you have any questions regarding Certification in the District of Columbia, please contact the Pesticide Branch at (202) 535-2600, or fax inquiries to at (202) 481-3770.
Upon receipt of forms ES-774 and 775, the Pesticide Program will review your application for approval. When approved, the DCRA BBL application forms for a Pesticide Operators License and Certified Pesticide Applicators License(s) will be prepared, signed then mailed. Licensing cannot be obtained without authorization of the Pesticide Program staff.
You will also need to contact the Pesticide Program to make arrangements to obtain photo I.D. card(s) for each licensed pesticide applicator. Most companies arrange to get their I.D. card(s) immediately after obtaining the licenses. Please make an appointment for I.D. cards. Obtaining a licensed without obtaining the Certified Applicator I.D. makes all pesticide application illegal. Pesticide applicators must carry their photo ID cards when applying pesticides.
Final Licensing Procedures
To obtain your licenses, take your BBL forms with the Pesticide Program authorization stamp to the Business Service Division of the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs, located at 1104 4th Street, SW, Washington, DC 20024 between 9:00 am and 3:00 pm. Please read the following two pages of requirements carefully. You may contact them on (202) 442-4311 if you have questions. In order to obtain a Pesticide Operator's License, the Business Service Division will require the following information and/or documents where applicable. This information and/or documents must be made available to the Business Service Division at the time of final licensing.
- All businesses physically located in the District of Columbia must show evidence that a Certificate of Occupancy has been issued in the exact name, address, and type of business operation(s) (including pesticide storage), you plan to perform. If you do not already have a Certificate of Occupancy Permit one may be obtained from 1104 4th Street, SW, Washington, DC 20024, Monday - Friday, between 9:00 am and 3:00 pm.
- If your firm is a corporation, your corporation must be both on file and in good standing with the Corporations Division of the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs prior to being issued a license. To obtain the required forms, and to inquire about fees, contact the Corporations Division, Monday - Friday, 9:00 am and 3:00 pm at (202) 442-4432 or in person at 1104 4th Street, SW, Washington, DC 20024.
- If your business is located in a state other than the District of Columbia (i.e., Maryland, Virginia, etc.), you are required to have a "Resident Agent" (someone who resides in the District of Columbia). This information is to be provided on Form ES 775, Item F and Form BBL, Items 7, 8, and 9.
- All businesses working in the District must file with the District's Tax Registration Office prior to being issued a license. Call (202) 442-4311 for the appropriate forms. All firms with the exception of state and federal government agencies are required to furnish evidence of financial security in the form of Liability Insurance.
An original certificate of insurance must include the following:
- Name and address of the insurance agency.
- Name and business address of the insured party.
Insured amounts (not less than described below):
$100,000 each person
$300,000 each occurrence
Property Damage $15,000 each occurrence
$30,000 each aggregate
A 10-day cancellation clause.
Certificate Holder's Name (must be as follows):
District of Columbia Department of Consumer & Regulatory Affairs
Business Service Division
1104 4th Street, SW
Washington, DC 20024
- The areas of operation (that is: District of Columbia, and any other states, etc.).
If the company or Government office you are working for already has a Pesticide Operators license and you are applying for a Pesticide Applicator's License, you are not required to comply with the above requirements (Items 1-5).
If you have questions regarding Licensing in the District of Columbia, please contact the Business Service Division at (202) 442-4311, or the Pesticide Program on (202) 535-2600.