District businesses selling food or alcohol are required to charge $.05 for each disposable paper or plastic carryout bag. Find out about DC's Bag Law.
Eco-Friendly Business Practices
Whether you are a business owner, manager or employee, you need to understand and comply with the District's environmental regulations and evaluate the environmental impact of your operations, products and services. The DDOE staff is available to answer questions, provide assistance, and help you improve your environmental performance.
The annual Mayor's Environmental Excellence Awards recognize outstanding businesses and organizations for their environmental stewardship, innovative best practices, pollution prevention, and resource conservation. If you are considering applying for an award, we recommend that you track your energy consumption, water usage, recycling, and "green projects" for your facility.
Find out how other District of Columbia businesses are demonstrating environmental leadership, reducing pollution and implementing innovative environmental projects.
Green Energy Practices
- Green Incentives [PDF]
- Green Building Tips
- Energy Tips for Small Businesses
- Energy Tips for Commercial Buildings
- Energy Tips for Institutional and Government Buildings
- Fuel-Saving Tips for Drivers
Practices by Business Type
- Auto Repair and Maintenance
- Colleges and Universities
- Construction and Development
- Dry Cleaners
- Hospitals, Health Care and Dental Facilities
- Hotels, Hospitality and Green Meetings
- Nail Salons
- Office Buildings and Commercial Properties
- Restaurants and Food Service
- Tour Bus Parking
- Commercial Recycling Information
- Recycling, Waste and Hazards for Businesses
- Taking Care of the Environment Makes Good Business Sense